The language used in discussing SEO can confuse some people. These are some traditional SEO terms and their typically accepted meanings:
* SEO – this stands for Search Engine Optimization and is a general term used to describe methods and strategies that will help your site rank better in the search engine listings.
* On page SEO- these are methods and strategies a site owner uses internally on their own site to help their site rank better.
* Off page SEO- this covers methods and strategies a site owner uses externally on other people’s websites and blogs to help his website rank better.
* Backlinking- this off page SEO method involves creating links on other people’s websites that point to your website. These links are called back links.
* No follow links- these are backlinks that do not carry the “power/authority” of the page rank of the site they are located on.
* Do follow links- these are backlinks that have the page rank of the site they are located on flowing through them to the back linked site.
* White hat SEO – these are ethical SEO tactics used by a site owner to promote his site, that are looked upon favorably by search engines
* Black hat SEO- these are unethical SEO tactics used by a site owner to promote his site, which are not desirable and may result in getting banned by search engines.
* Backlink profile – this refers to the mixture of the different type of backlinks a webmaster uses.
* Backlink Value- this is a calculation of the power of the backlinks a site owner has build. It equals the number of backlinks built multiplied by the strength of each backlink( based on the page rank of the site where the backlink is built)
* Anchor Text- this is the clickable part of text within an article or other piece of content which when clicked will direct the user to another page or site.
* Page Rank – this is a search engines measure of a webpage’s authority on a scale of 0 to 10. Search engines rank individual web pages not websites as a whole.
* Contextual links – these are back links that are embedded within the text of piece of content and are surrounded by other content. They are the most powerful type of backlinks especially if they appear on a sites homepage.
* Keyword density- the number of times a keyword appears in a piece of content, expressed as a percentage. The ideal mark is 3%.
* Outbound Links- these are links a website owner creates from his website to external websites as opposed to a backlink that links from external sites to his site.
* Indexing – a term used to describe when a search engine finds content on the web and lists it in its search results. Some content gets indexed faster than other types.
Learn more about SEO at http://dunntek.com/seo